Skip to main content

Grace Period: Beginning of Pandemic thru the End of Pandemic

Dear Mom, I'm not even sure how to describe the year 2020, let alone this holiday season. It's been weird. Different. Yet refreshingly simple. I am spending time with close family and small groups of friends here and there. It's wholesome and it's deliberate without pressure to be at all events or gatherings. So there's that. I know that other people are struggling. Some find these times everything but simple. For that reason, the holidays are complicated. You brought us up to give, to be charitable, especially during Christmastime. Do you know who needs help right now? EVERYONE. Most people need help rebuilding their faith in humanity after the past election and pandemic policies that created tumultous relationships between friends and family. Some working people need financial help because of the strains on the economy from the shutdown. Oh what shutdown? I forgot you don't know anything about it. So, we are in a pandemic. A virus, new(ish) to the planet has turned the world upside down. We wear masks everywhere, sanitize like it's our job, and aren't allowed to go in restaurants/bars. People are dying, others are mildly sick and some are just fine. Most people are working from home if possible and high school and college kids are learning from a computer. It's a wild time in our history, to say the least. I'm going to keep that short and sweet and void of bias. Moving on, who needs help? Restaurant workers and small business owners/employees need job security. Healthcare workers need to be given patience, support and to feel valued. Children and teenagers need to be given space to feel anxiety and frustration being away from their friends and missing face to face learning. Teachers and childcare workers need to be given a standing ovation for the juggling act they are doing to keep everyone healthy in class, or engaged online and sane in their own minds. Anyone running a business or side hustle need to be given a break from all the changes they've needed to make to stay afloat and keep themselves and employees paid and safe. Parents need to be given a medal of honor for facilitating virutal learning without (or even with!) a certified teaching degree. Families who've lost a loved one who were not allowed a proper service need love, hugs, and to be checked in on, often. People who are sick from something other than the virus need attention and deserve respect for battling conditions admist the pandemic. People that strugle with anxiety or depression need an outlet, an avenue to express the feelings of hopelessness and despair during these unpredictable times. Eldery people who are not allowed visitors need companionship through the phone or virtually and most of all hope. Or veterans with disabilities or PTSD who need and deserve to feel the support of a united country. EVERYONE IS IN NEED. Some days, I feel at a loss to give. I don't know if I have enough in my glass to pour into another. Other days, I feel giving, of any kind, is the silver lining of the whole thing. After writing this, I know one thing is for sure. People need to be given grace. More than ever. According to the dictionary, courteous goodwill is another way to define grace. That's simplistic and perfectly described, in my opinion. Some of us have time, money or energy to give to others. Some are just depleted. Both parties need grace. In order to give or receive, interacting with each other with goodwill, grace and kindess will go a long way. I hope to do my part. If you're in need, I got you. If I'm in need, do you have my back, Mom? I think right now you'd be quoting your favorite Christmas quote, "Don't get your tinsel in a tangle." You might also tell me to give without judgment and love like there's no tomorrow. And because I can't hear it directly from you, I'll take the advice and go from there. Love, Kristin In Quarantine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to my Mom(This was my speech for her service)

My mom loved to celebrate. She celebrated life full of sports, music, our military, and especially her kids. She would always say "Children should be celebrated." The funny thing about quoting her is that she would always she was someone of few words. Her words made an impact and so did her actions. As we reminisced old stories and looking through even older photographs, she is clearly celebrating in them all! I'd love to share some stories and things that I hold fast to during this difficult time. I'm not going to say I lost my mom, because I didn't. I know where she is and I know she is celebrating up there with some long lost loved ones who she's been missing dearly. The day she passed we were recounting the stories of when she was little girl. Having four older brothers played a big role in these stories as you could imagine. One of my favorites was when her brothers told her that she could be Queen for the day if she sat on the throne-shaped ca

No Regrets

The few days before my mom passed, she asked me if there was anything I needed to tell her or share with her as her time was nearing an end. It didn't take me long to say, "No, Mom. I know that you know just how much I love you." We were fortunate to have been in an open, loving relationship where we have always been honest. When I say fortunate I mean I'm happy that we have always been deliberate in expressing our feelings, especially the warm fuzzy ones. I feel gracious to not have to be reconciling or apologizing for long lost grudges or arguments during those last days. That wasn't our style. We wrote cards to each other that took up the entire blank side with an outpouring of our deepest emotions not just on holidays but year-round. I didn't anticipate what a relief that would be in this moment. No regrets. No sadness about our past, just love. Deep, raw, mother-daughter "me and you against the world" kind of bond that will not end now but co

One Year Without You

I've been trying to write this for 2 months anticipating or rather dreading this day September 26th, 2018. Marking one entire year without my mom. How is that possible? Months ago, I thought I'd have pushed through to the 'other side' by now. Finding this quote has given me more courage to endure grief. I don't have high expectations of what it will look like each day but I do know this. I retain those deep, raw maternal sentiments she gushed onto me with her loving eyes, her gentle arms and her supportive words within the woven fabric of my soul. What if those pieces unravel? Who will be there to mend them? To sew a new patch? I have to do that. On my own. I will have to care for myself in the ways she taught me. For this reason I dug deeper than ever before into my purpose as a mother and wife. It's beyond fulfilling and I am finally reaping what I have worked so hard to achieve. A loving, wholesome family built on values, respect, and over-the-top "cel