Skip to main content

Ode to the Wolf Watchers

Tribute to Yellowstone Wolf Watchers 

Welcome to Jellystone National Park


If you’ve never been in nature with a scope, you may not understand the draw. It’s so far away! How can you really see anything? Allow me to illustrate how truly connected you can feel from a distance behind the lens of a Swarovski telescope. To watch an animal in its natural habitat, from afar, without obstructing the behaviors, can be a breathtaking experience! If you’ve used the phrase ‘to be a fly on the wall’ you know what it feels to want to observe behavior that isn’t modified by your presence. Instead of a fly let’s be the rare pygmy owl and instead of an interior wall let's pick Montana’s big sky over Yellowstone! That’s what it’s like to view wildlife through a scope hundreds of yards away. The combination of the other four senses makes the viewing come to life in a way that is quite humbling.  It is truly a privilege to be amongst such grandeur in God’s country, witnessing uninterrupted musings of majestic animals such as the Black and Grey wolf. 

Wolf Watchers Morning Meeting

Imagine arriving at Exposure, each morning by 7 a.m., before the sun rises, to be greeted by fellow wolf watchers already set up on the mountain with focused lenses. As you hike up the hill, you see some are shivering from the cold, adjusting the tripod legs, or warming up with hot coffee and camaraderie. With a rented scope in hand, I look to my dad, Wolf Man Pat, for guidance. He sets me up and gives me the lowdown on focusing, panning and photographing through the lens. In three days time, I picked up on a lot of the Wolf Advocate jargon. See, if you can log a ‘three dog day,’ you’re a happy camper! Cue biology classification lesson...


If you were fortunate to see all three wolves, coyotes and foxes you have the bragging rights to a ‘3 dog day!’ It is up for debate, whether or not the local habituated fox counts. Now, some park goers are lucky to see a fox cross in front of their vehicle, others may spot a coyote ‘mousing’ for a snack but to see a wolf pack takes patience, focus, and the wolf tracker CB radio definitely helps! “Unit 213. We have bedded wolves at Exposure. Two blacks. One grey. Possible fourth in the drainage right below the Calcedonia fan." " Copy that.” 


Everyone on the radio is united under the same passion for observing animals without disturbing their natural habitat, hoping to catch a glimpse of unique behavior that leads to a better understanding of the life of wolves in Yellowstone National Park. The jargon is used to describe location, behaviors, physical descriptions of the animal and trends of movement. As noted, above, bedded wolves are ones lying down, often snuggled up with one another. These can be incredibly difficult to spot because the greys are well camouflaged among the grasses and sage. An interesting discussion ensued when scoping the wolves that became quite comical adding levity to the morning! Groups of wolves, or clusters, clumps, dog piles, duos, and the like were some of the proposed technical terms being milled over by the Exclosure scoping watchers. “I see a clump of wolves over there. At least one grey.” Another observer declares a few wolves cuddled up would be considered more of a ‘cluster’ while others argued it’s more of a ‘dog pile'. WolfMan Dad said it all depends on what day of the week it is! Needless to say, we beat that joke to a bloody pulp. It didn’t hurt that the corny dad jokes were more than welcome in this group of welcoming wolf watchers!

The Crew

A typical tourist in the park may look at the line of scopes up on the mountain and assume they are all professional photographers or researchers. I’ll be honest, it can appear very intimidating to approach those with gigantic scopes, cameras and gear in tow. The majority of these men and women squinting through those lenses were once just park enthusiasts who got hooked! Their passion was sparked by speaking to those who had been tracking or even having an observer offer up a view of the wolves through their high-end telescope. My dad says he’s been thanked, hugged and witnessed watery eyes after letting someone look at the wolves through his lens. The wolf watchers I met come from all over the world, some take field notes, some share stories, and others just soak in all the information and learn from the veterans. While it’s a diverse group of wolf advocates, they share a passion for tracking the majestic Canis Lupus (as seen painted on dad’s wolfmobile, courtesy of his talented artist wife Alicia Jennings, Signs by Alicia). I was honored to be a part of this clump of people who admire, love and have such passion for the park and all the critters who inhabit the land. 

Clump of Wolf Watchers around the WolfMobile



I can’t decide if it was more fun to be hunkered down in the same spot milling over pup and adult wolf stories or hearing about a sighting and caravanning over to where the action was! Sometimes you’d run into (quite literally if we’re talking about bison) another animal encounter on the way! All these spots, stops and stays are part of the whole experience. One day, Dad and I tried to get home a little earlier than normal and were lucky enough to view bison mama and baby wallowing and then later another bison chasing a black bear (see Video Links). 

I learned so much and without much effort. I have always believed this as a teacher being a fan of differentiation. If you are interested, you will learn. Period. I found myself asking questions in the the biology realm. Something I have never done before this trip. I learned Black wolves are more resistant to canine diseases such as distemper. I actually read a scholarly article on the matter Canine Distemper in Yellowstone Grizzly bears and Wolves. I learned that the wolf pups are fearless and can be risk takers without adults (just like human toddlers!). My dad told me they found one of the dens that went in 16 feet deep with various rooms for the pack! Without wolves, the ecosystem of Yellowstone suffered immensely from the predator prey relationship to the landform changes and much more.

Scoping Like a Boss


Fun Facts 

Don’t badger someone about not getting to see a badger. 

Dad’s wolfmobile is famous and elicits celebrity style attention in the park.

If you see it ,you may find yourself struggling for words to accurately describe it so someone else can see it! 

Carry your scope like a hobo… bulk of it slightly loose against your back, tripod legs up!

‘Mousing’ describes the pouncing actions when hunting a vole or small rodent. It’s very endearing to watch a wolf jump up and down excitedly for a snack.

The call of an elk or moose is called a bugle. I know this because a huge bull elk serenaded me through the window on my side of the car one early morning! It sounds much like a brassy instrument. 

Wallowing is the term to describe when bison roll around, kick up dust and shake their big wooly heads (see Video Links). The playfulness is so much fun to watch you'll want to join in!

Grizzly bears can run up to 40 mph. Don’t chase them. They are not teddybears. 

This is for everyone (except m): Bison are cuter in person. IF you don’t understand my affection for them, go see them for yourself! 

Wear your seatbelt. A young man driving through the park without one fastened, flipped his truck and suffered serious injuries. Buckle up. Everywhere. Even in Yellowstone where everything is so serene you couldn’t imagine an accident of this magnitude. 

DISCLAIMER: This is based on my experience being in the park, teaching young children and having my own. Don’t bring toddlers. There isn’t much for them to do. Besides bison and some elk, they won’t be able to see many animals, even through binoculars. They struggle using the lens. Also, most of the sightings are right off the road leaving no room for error with runaway tantrums. A 3 year old suffered second degree burns by falling into a thermal feature. I just don’t see how it would be much fun and could be quite stressful for parents. There are minimal safe hiking and picnic areas. Trust me, it's not what you imagined if you grew up watching Yogi Bear. Yogi Bear and Flintstones 

Dad N Daughter Duo Wolf Tracking Adventures


Video Links

Mama Bison and Baby Wallowing 

Bison Chasing Black Bear 

Wolf Pups and Yearlings 

Howling Wolf

Wolf Pup Fun





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to my Mom(This was my speech for her service)

My mom loved to celebrate. She celebrated life full of sports, music, our military, and especially her kids. She would always say "Children should be celebrated." The funny thing about quoting her is that she would always she was someone of few words. Her words made an impact and so did her actions. As we reminisced old stories and looking through even older photographs, she is clearly celebrating in them all! I'd love to share some stories and things that I hold fast to during this difficult time. I'm not going to say I lost my mom, because I didn't. I know where she is and I know she is celebrating up there with some long lost loved ones who she's been missing dearly. The day she passed we were recounting the stories of when she was little girl. Having four older brothers played a big role in these stories as you could imagine. One of my favorites was when her brothers told her that she could be Queen for the day if she sat on the throne-shaped ca

No Regrets

The few days before my mom passed, she asked me if there was anything I needed to tell her or share with her as her time was nearing an end. It didn't take me long to say, "No, Mom. I know that you know just how much I love you." We were fortunate to have been in an open, loving relationship where we have always been honest. When I say fortunate I mean I'm happy that we have always been deliberate in expressing our feelings, especially the warm fuzzy ones. I feel gracious to not have to be reconciling or apologizing for long lost grudges or arguments during those last days. That wasn't our style. We wrote cards to each other that took up the entire blank side with an outpouring of our deepest emotions not just on holidays but year-round. I didn't anticipate what a relief that would be in this moment. No regrets. No sadness about our past, just love. Deep, raw, mother-daughter "me and you against the world" kind of bond that will not end now but co

One Year Without You

I've been trying to write this for 2 months anticipating or rather dreading this day September 26th, 2018. Marking one entire year without my mom. How is that possible? Months ago, I thought I'd have pushed through to the 'other side' by now. Finding this quote has given me more courage to endure grief. I don't have high expectations of what it will look like each day but I do know this. I retain those deep, raw maternal sentiments she gushed onto me with her loving eyes, her gentle arms and her supportive words within the woven fabric of my soul. What if those pieces unravel? Who will be there to mend them? To sew a new patch? I have to do that. On my own. I will have to care for myself in the ways she taught me. For this reason I dug deeper than ever before into my purpose as a mother and wife. It's beyond fulfilling and I am finally reaping what I have worked so hard to achieve. A loving, wholesome family built on values, respect, and over-the-top "cel